Great things happen when great minds come together to share, learn and identify innovative approaches to shared societal issues. I have worked collaboratively with others to convene some of these gatherings including:
- Sustainable Indigenous Tourism. Conference to be held in Nanaimo, April 11-13, 2017. Co-applicant and host of the conference which brings together 60-100 delegates to share best practices in sustainable indigenous tourism. Funded by the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council under the Connections Program.
- Where is here? Small Cities, Deep Mapping and Sustainable Futures. Symposium held in Courtenay, July 20-23, 2016. Primary Investigator and organizer of a symposium bringing together 25 speakers on cultural mapping. Funded by Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council under the Connections Program.
- Travel and Tourism Research Association – Canadian Chapter Conference 2016 held in Edmonton, AB. As a member of the Board, I served as the academic program chair for this annual conference.
- Artisan Entrepreneurship. Symposium held in Cowichan Bay, October 2011. Primary Investigator and organizer of a workshop bringing 40 stakeholders involved in the Artisan economy. Funded by the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council under the Knowledge Synthesis Program.
- BC Rural Tourism Conference, 2010 and 2011. Collaborated with Thompson Rivers University and the University of Northern BC to host a conference in 2010 in Kamloops and 2011 in 100 Mile House (approx. 120-150 delegates). Funded in part by the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council as part of the Knowledge Impact in Society Program and Western Economic Development.
- Canadian Congress on Leisure Research (CCLR 11): Two Solitudes: Research and Practice. Chair of the Marketing committee at Malaspina University College (approx.220 delegates).